Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Initial Impressions

Setup was fine. The website was available almost immediately, and most everything works as advertised. Haven't noticed any speed problems, but since my initial web page is smaller than small, I really have not way to tell. Not yet.

Support has been quick, and mostly to the point. I have only used the contact form on their control panel and have received responses via email, and they respond in less than an hour. They have been educating me as to what exactly a shared web hosting account is and is not. 

To me, an ordinary linux user is restricted and pretty much kept out of harm's way, but this is 1&1's version of being really safe. So, some of the technical decisions they have made sometimes seem a bit overdone. 

For instance, I want to look at my "ac" accounting login records. I don't think this is an unusual requirement. I'm not sure what 1&1's admin's are afraid I will see, since I haven't seen anyone else logged into the virtual linux space I'm in anyway. (From my point of view, this virtual linux machine is unoccupied.) I know this is not really the case, and it's all simulated because I'm sharing this computer with god knows how many other customers, so what are they worried about? I certainly have no interest in what other customers are doing. Really. 

--pjm

No comments: